Ever tried to make your own pasta? I suggest for you to give it a try, it is quite simple, and a great activity to do with your kids!
Here is a recipe for whole wheat pasta, that I am sure you will enjoy:
makes about one pound
1 1/2 cups of whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup of water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of white flour
1. In a large bowl, mix sifted flour together with the salt.
2.Make a small well in the center of the mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, mix egg and water together.
4. Pour into the well, mix until thick dough consistency.
5. Form into a ball.
6. On a floured surface, knead ( this is similar to bread making, and either a good way to get rid of some frustration, or a whole lot of fun for the kids!)
7. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
8. Using small sections of the dough, use a pasta machine according to the manufactures directions, or roll out on a lightly floured surface to the desired thickness.
Use as desired! I personally prefer my pasta, served with a homemade thick tomato based sauce, with junks of zucchini, mushrooms and green peppers, with a slice of slightly toasted french bread, rubbed with garlic and olive oil.
Healthy eating can be fun, a family experience and easy! Showing children to joy of preparing foods, together, teaches not just how to prepare food, but possibly brings with it a lifetime joy of experimenting with new creative ways to nurture their bodies. It is the beginning of motivation to take of themselves that last a lifetime.
Peace and Love
Motivational Coach, Fundraiser